In this article, we will focus on how to deal with depression in your life.
Within the normal course of our life, we come across plenty of things, most of which have an effect on our emotions both positively or negatively. Amongst such things are our lifestyles, the individuals we associate with, our personal achievements and targets, the climate conditions, our way of thinking amongst others. Fortunately, most of these elements are within our management which means that you can all the time manipulate them to work to your benefit. The very last thing you need is to let this emotion get the better part of you.
Table of Contents
What is Depression?
Depression is a medical illness that causes feelings of sadness and loss of interest. It effects person emotionally and physically thereby reducing his/her ability to perform at home or work.
Depression is a type of emotion that has to be dealt with a whole lot of care because it does not solely have an effect on the state of your well being however within the excessive case can result in loss of life. People must learn how to deal with depression.
Symptoms of Depression
The symptoms of depression may vary based on the state of mental illness. Few may face mild symptoms while others may undergo severe one.
Here are few of the common symptoms of depression and in the later part, you will learn how to deal with depression-
- Feeling Sad
- Loss of interest
- Weight loss or gain
- Sleep deprived or sleeping too much
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Feeling guilty
- Loss of energy
- Thoughts of suicide
How to deal with Depression
This article will take you through some vital recommendations on how to deal with depression.
- Talk to people who care for you and make you feel safe. Speak out to a person who is willing to listen to you and does not judge you.
- Research shows that helping others helps in mood-boosting. So, try to help others or do something good for others.
- Stay in touch with your loved ones. If you cannot meet them in person talk to them through phone calls, social media, and messaging.
- Try to hang with more people. If you are surrounded by people you will feel less depressed. Always staying in your comfort zone will only worsen your mental health.
- Join a club of your interest which will help you meet people of similar interests and you can receive good advice from them as well.
Exercise helps a lot in fighting against depression. It helps in faster recovery from depression. Research proves that exercises can be as effective as depression medication.
- Exercising on a regular basis will be difficult if you are feeling exhausted and depressed. But, exercises will improve your energy levels, when done on a regular basis.
- Find your exercise partner by joining clubs. This will as well help you to socialize yourself. Indulge yourself in yoga classes, dance classes, aerobics and there are many others.
- Do more Rhythmic exercises like dancing, swimming, martial arts, and walking. Rhythmic exercises are where you move both your arms and legs.
- Focus on your body as it moves. This includes observing your breathing, feeling the wind on your face, feeling your feet hitting the floor, and many more.
Expose yourself to sunlight
Sunlight helps in boosting mood and as well as increasing the serotonin levels. There are many researchers who believe that an imbalance in serotonin levels can affect the psyche in a way that leads to depression.
During daytime, go outside and expose yourself to sunlight for at least 15 minutes in a day. Try taking a walk in the park or playing an outdoor game in the park.
You can also boost your serotonin levels by taking serotonin supplements. Serotonin supplements that provide vitamins B6, B12, and folate help maintain healthy serotonin levels. You can buy these supplements from amazon.
Do things you are interested in
If you are depressed, you don’t feel like doing anything, not even doing things of your interest. But, if you want to overcome depression, then push yourself to do things that you will enjoy and change your mood. This will make you feel relax and energetic.
- Indulge yourself in an hobby or sport of your interest.
- Arrange for a family trip.
- Go out with friends.
- Involve yourself in music,dance or any of the art.
- Listen to music.
Take healthy diet
Available studies suggest that one of the main reasons for depression these days is our way of life; that is our eating regime. Health specialists recommend that you eat a healthy diet and pair it with some regular workout routines if you want to manage your mood swings. Some diets are known to cause a lot of anxiety to different types of people.
- Foods with chemical preservatives, Caffeine, Fats, and Alcohols have an adverse effect on your mood. So, to keep your mood relaxed reduce the intake of such foods and liquor.
- To stabilize your mood add Omega-3 fatty acids to your diet. The foods that are rich in omega 3 fatty acid are fish (tuna, salmon, mackerel, herring, and sardines), nuts(walnuts), seeds(flaxseed, chia seeds), plant oil(soybean oil, canola oil, and flaxseed oil) and fortified foods(infant formulas, few brands of juices, eggs, yogurt, and milk). Also, you can take Omega-3 dietary supplements.
- Rather than having big meals, eat small meals every 3-4 hours. If you take a big gap between your meals, you may feel tired.
- If you have vitamin B(folic acid and B-12 ) deficiency, then you may undergo depression. To get the vitamin B, eat green leafy vegetables, chicken, beans, eggs, and citrus foods. As well as you can take B-Complex supplements.
Get some rest
Usually, after a busy day or activity, there is a high risk that your mind or the body will be exhausted which may result in depression in case you fail to get some rest. In the long run, the exhaustive activities cause dizziness and fatigue as you are forcing your mind to handle more than it is supposed to. Most physicians suggest that one should take a minimum sleep of six hours a day to give your mind enough time to get enough rest.
Finally, there is time for everything, do not let your work troubles to affect your family life. Most people make the mistake of dragging their personal issues to their work which ends causing more problems and making the situations even worse. It is therefore highly recommended that you draw a line to everything, leave your work troubles at your office and have fun along with your family. Try as much as possible not to worry about tomorrow and remain relaxed.
Hopefully, you will like the above tips on how to deal with depression and you will definitely follow them in your life to stay depression-free and stay positive.
This blog provides general information and discussions about health and related topics. The information and other content provided on this blog are not intended and should not be considered, or used as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This blog does not advise, diagnose, or treat any medical, nursing, or other professional health services. We cannot diagnose the condition, provide secondary feedback, or make specific treatment recommendations through this blog or website. If you or anyone else has a medical concern, you should consult your healthcare provider or seek other professional medical treatment immediately.